Hi guys,
So on the topic of reporting guns and gun ownership I still have mixed feelings. It is obviously something that will continue to progress as legislation continues to press forward, if it does. With so much up in the air it looks like it will be up to us, journalists. What do you guys think about this topic?
Here are the links to the Fox News and CNN articles on the young boy shooting his grandmother.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/24/la-police-boy-8-fatally-shoots-0-year-old-relative-after-playing-video-game/
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/25/us/louisiana-boy-kills-grandmother/index.html
What do you think of the difference? I was surprised by the difference myself. Did anyone do anything wrong?
Matt Gouras versus Attorney General Tim Fox is really interesting to me. I first read about the request and thought it was over the top. After figuring out that it was lawful and reading his previous work with sensitive information I changed my mind. Here is Gouras' article on hunting licenses, what do you think?
Thank you guys for adding so much to my presentation today with your thought and comments. I will be checking in to see what you have to say. Have a good weekend.
I have to admit... This is a tough one for me. So I'm going practical. I don't dig guns. I dig journalism. So if privacy and gun rights clash, I'm going with the public's right to know over the publics right to pull the trigger. I think it's a personal decision. Also, I need to have a conversation with whatever media outlet I'm lucky enough to work with and get acquainted with their policies regarding these issues as well.
ReplyDeleteThe like the angle you took on this presentation. Some news outlets are baited into indulging one side or another on the gun issue, and it's important to realize this when collecting information. The ground becomes especially shaky when the core argument is subjective. There are good arguments for both sides, and the whole view doesn't always fit nicely into a news package.
ReplyDeleteI have lived in Montana for about 3-4 years now and never have I seen so many reasons why and why not (to have guns). It just seems as though guns have been around for so long and a part of the constitution that it is just a big circular topic.
ReplyDeleteBoth sides do make good points; however, it is important to remember that news outlets are there to inform the public, nothing else. If it is prevalent for the public to know, the info should be shared.
ReplyDeleteI actually think Fox was justified in taking a stand, simply because the request did not limit itself to the names of the individuals carrying the concealed weapons permit, but also included personal information such as addresses. I seriously doubt any of the personal information would get published, but Fox was simply looking out and that is his job. Whether or not it is legal for him to withhold such information is another story. All that being said, it does fall under the public's right to know. Gouras does his research and writes very informative articles for the public. I'm sure once his story comes out, many people against him receiving this information will quickly jump the fence. I'm interested in hearing how this plays out.
ReplyDelete