Sunday, December 1, 2013

Regarding athletes as journalists. I know this subject was a little different than most but I'd like to hear your opinions.  Many athletes don't graduate from college with a degree. Many of the ex athletes you see today as journalists don't have a college degree yet they have the job of a broadcaster. Is it right to give these athletes the job over you or I?

Employers want to hire former athletes, athletes understand teamwork, leadership, and posses certain qualities that non athletes might not. A survey of CEOs found that 100 percent of employees would be more likely to hire a student athlete than a non-student athlete. And 60% would hire a student athlete with a lower grade point average than a non student athlete with an A average.” This according to a Forbes article written by NCSA writer Kerry Brown of the NCSA (an athletic recruiting website.

There is an increase in demand for big companies such as ESPN to hire many ex pros to be on their show. But is it right that they are getting them?

Should ex athletes have to go through some sort of training for a job like this? Is it fair they are getting these jobs? What do you think?

Brown, Kerry. "How Athletics help you get ahead."NSCA. Forbes, 13 Oct. 2013. Web. 17 Nov 2013. <http://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2013/10/03/athletics-story-forbes/>.

Schultz, Brad. "Jockacracy Ethics." Journal of Sports Media. Blogspot, n. d. Web. 17 Nov. 2013. <http://journalsportsmedia.blogspot.com/2007/08/jockocracy-ethics.html>.

Neus, Elizabeth. "NFL Network intercepts Deion's attempt to write about Vick." USA Today. N.p., 31 Jul 2007. Web. 17 Nov 2013. <http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/falcons/2007-07-30-vick-deion_N.htm>.

Wyatt, Ian. "Five Reasons Professional Athletes go Broke." Wyatt Investment Research. N.p., 25 Mar 2013. Web. 18 Nov 2013. <http://www.wyattresearch.com/article/five-reasons-professional-athletes-go-broke/>.

1 comment:

  1. I think that it's true that athletes know a lot about sports, but I think they have too much bias. Also, they are un-trained. I think journalists who spend time on a sports beat can know just as much as an athlete and know how to report on it without a bias. They also know how to report the news ethically and to the standards required. I think it's best to use athletes as sources rather than reporters.

    ReplyDelete